Juice Cleanse Instructions
Preparation is crucial when planning to enter into a cleanse. To get the results the cleanse is designed to give you, you need to wean yourself off a few things leading up to your start date. You’ll be happy you did.
This is paramount! The majority of us suffer from mild dehydration and many of us are chronically dehydrated. If you follow the instructions, the cleanse will leave you hydrated, replenished and recharged.
At least 3 days before your cleanse, integrate the following into your daily routine (if you don’t already):
- Start each day with warm water and lemon. Drinking this throughout the day is great too!
- Drink at least 2 litres of pure water a day.
- Sneak in a few herbal teas if you can!
- Eliminate caffeine, alcohol, soda and nicotine products.
At least three days before your cleanse, we recommend you eat wholesome, whole foods and try to avoid the following:
- Meat and poultry
- Processed starches like bread, white rice and pasta
- Dairy and eggs
What we recommend you do eat:
- Some fatty acids. We suggest soaking flax seeds overnight and eating a few big spoonfuls throughout the day (on salads or on their own.)
- Fruits, raw salads, raw or steamed vegetables and vegetable soups. If eliminating meat seems too difficult, eat small portions of fish.
- Good olive oil, coconut oil, spices and lemon juice to kick the flavour up.
- Some soaked almonds if you like, just be sure they are fully chewed.
The bottom line here is to eat as clean as you can and you will do great.
The following guidelines and recommendations will help you maximize the success of your cleanse.
Remember that, while you are giving your body a complete rest by drinking juices instead of eating meals, it is important that everything keeps flowing through the system.
- Hydration is essential! Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. We also recommend keeping a supply of fresh organic lemons on hand during your cleanse period to drink in your water, or make warm lemon water to start the day (half a fresh lemon juice in warm water). One of the juices you may receive is a “Kick-It Lemonade” which is a great drink for morning detoxification or also after exercise since it contains activated charcoal and lemons to detoxify, pink salt to restore electrolytes, maple syrup for added minerals, and alkaline water to assist the body into a state of alkalinity. .
- For the ‘Let’s Get Started Cleanse``, drink 6 juices per day and consider 1-2 salads as meals. (clean homemade ingredients including salad dressing)
- For the “Let’s Get Serious” Cleanse, drink 7 juices per day and consider only 1 salad max per day.
- For the “Now That’s Extreme” Cleanse, drink 8 juices per day with no solid food.
- Drink your juice at intervals throughout your day. If you’re doing 6 juices, drink 2 in the morning, 2-3 in the afternoon and 1-2 in the evening. Add your additional juices at “meal” times if you are doing a “no solid” cleanses (“Now Let’s Get Serious” and “Now Let’s Get Extreme”). You may wish to have a nice warm cup of herbal tea prior to bed too!
- If you are sleepy and have a chance to rest, take a nap. Going to bed early will help take your mind off of food and accelerate the cleansing process. Remember, hunger comes in waves…and once you get through one wave, you’re home free for a while! Drink water (or juice if it’s time!), go for a walk, have a rich conversation with a friend, or a bubble bath to take your mind off the fact that you, for now, may feel hungry.
- While you are mobilizing toxins you have to be sure you are releasing them from your system. Having 2-3 bowel movements each day is key in the cleansing process. If you’re not doing this, you may consider a mild herbal supplement like magnesium or triphala added to your juice. Triphala is a Ayurvedic herb that assists in toxin elimination and available at Body Fuel.
- Some other great ways to eliminate toxins include: skin brushing in the morning to rid your body of dead skin cells and open your pores, saunas, massage and warm baths.
- Feel free to exercise, but don’t over do it. It’s important to listen to your body.
- Warm herbal teas can be comforting during moments of hunger cravings.
- Consider adding a probiotic into your daily routine. This will help increase the healthy bacteria in your intestines. We recommend a liquid probiotic called New Beginnings.
- Be gentle with your body as you start cleansing. If you’ve never done one before, we recommend starting with a 1-3 day cleanse and consider eating a salad at 1 or two mealtimes if you are new to cleansing. As you get more accustomed to cleansing, you will find your body adapts to less solid food and feels nourished on juice so that you can decrease or eliminate food while drinking the fresh juice.
Congratulations! You did it! Now that you’ve done all this amazing work to supercharge your system, we want to make sure you’re able to maintain it.
The plan below will help keep you on track and sustain the effects of your cleanse. The more you are able to keep your system functioning properly the better off you will be. We recommend that you break your cleanse by consuming three small meals the following day.
Below are some options/guidelines of foods to eat for the first 2 days, post-cleanse. It’s important to eat clean and organic!
- Breakfast: Fruit salad or raw veggie salad
- Lunch: Fruit and Vegetable smoothie, maybe with some additional plant protein
- Dinner: Steamed vegetables, raw vegetable salad (dressing: flax oil or olive oil with lemon)
- Breakfast: Fruit salad, smoothie or vegetable juice, maybe a slice of toast
- Lunch: Raw salad with goat cheese and walnuts. Soup is also a great choice
- Dinner: Raw salad, steamed vegetables and a small portion of whole grains (brown rice or quinoa) or sweet potato or legumes.
AFTER DAY 2
Start to reintroduce animal protein and dairy, if you choose to. Consider steamed fish in place of meat, and goat’s milk products in place of cow’s milk, at least in the beginning. Try to incorporate a green drink into your daily routine. This will help keep the system running smoothly and keep the acidity away.
Remember to chew your food. This is where digestion starts. While you are chewing, digestive enzymes are released. These enzymes help to break down protein, fats and carbs so they can be properly absorbed.
You may be inspired by how great you feel after your cleanse and decide it’s something you like to do up to once per month. Many people liken cleansing to “taking out the garbage” in your body as you do in your home. As seasons change, it’s also a great time to do a cleanse.